Intensive throwing courses with Sylph Baier at Le Moulin, in the Dordogne, France
Weekly residential pottery courses for up to 2 students
Spend a week in a 17th century mill, in the Dordogne countryside and improve your skills in, throwing, glazing, decorating and firing stoneware and porcelain. Courses tutored by Sylph Baier, a professional potter with more than three decades’ experience, in a creative and fun environment.
The mill is in an area which is accredited as a bird sanctuary and is situated in a valley with extensive woodland walks.
Included with the Courses
- Bergerac airport or Mussidan train station transfers by arrangement
- Full board and lodging. Continental buffet breakfast (students make their own breakfast in their own quarters with the food provided at a time of their own convenience; that lessons start at 9am), a 3 course French lunch at the local inn and a light buffet supper at the Moulin at 6pm, wine included. Note: vegans and vegetarians can be catered for.
- Up to 5kg of finished and fired work in Limoges porcelain or 10kg of stoneware clay. (Additional work can be made and is charged separately at Euro 12 per fired and glazed kg of Limoges porcelain and Euro 6 for stoneware and can be shipped at cost price)
Tuition will be 20 hours per week mainly in the mornings from Monday to Friday starting at 9am. It is mainly throwing based and would suit students with some throwing experience but other techniques can also be covered as well as glazing and firing in electric and gas reduction kiln.
There will be tea/coffee breaks at 11am and 4pm.
The workshop is available to students unsupervised until 9pm. There is also a program of films available in the evening and the library is open until 9pm.
Some recent feedback from visitors/students
- October 2019. The setting is magical - a 17th century mill in the Dordogne, sheep, streams, forests and plenty of hikes.
- October 2019. I went to Sylph to improve my throwing skills as I was off to study for an MA in creative practice.
- September 2019. My friend and I, both complete novices regarding pottery, spent a wonderful week with Sylph in her lovely home.
- June 2019. I spent a memorable week with Sylph at her beautiful mill in the Dordogne.
- May 2019. My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful week with Sylph at Le Moulin...
Accommodation & Prices
Double (the Blue Room) with en-suite shower and toilet: € 1250 per student (course fee and full board and lodging).
Double (the Red Room) with en-suite shower and toilet: € 1250 per student (course fee and full board and lodging).
Partners are welcome for a holiday only at € 625 each for full board and lodging without the tuition fees.
If you wish to book, a deposit of 20% secures your booking and is non refundable should you wish to cancel.
The balance is due one month prior to your arrival.
We ask guests to use only environmentally friendly products.
Please note 1: The staircases in the mill leading to the first floor bedrooms are steep and unsuitable for people with walking difficulties and small children and toddlers. We also have uneven flagstones on the entrance of the property which date from the 17th century and access to all parts of the property is at visitors own risk.
Please note 2: We follow permaculture principles and try to live sustainably by conserving water and electricity, growing our own food, and recycling as much as we can. We ask you to support us in this endeavour.
Transfers are included from and to Bergerac airport which has flights coming in from Stansted and Southampton. I will need to know your flight number, details and time of arrival and departure, so I can be there to collect you.
You will need to book your flight well in advance arriving on the Sunday and departing on the Saturday.
We stock a good selection of local wines, mainly from the Bergerac and Bordeaux region.
You will need to let me know if you have any special dietary requirements.
There is WiFi but in this rural location it has to be via satellite which can be intermittent.
Please get in touch if you have any additional questions or if you fancy a chat. I can ring you on a landline after 8pm English time.
Further information or if you wish to book, please contact Sylph Baier at firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Dates for 2020
Sun 6 Sep - Sat 12 Sep
Sun 20 Sep - Sat 26 Sep (1 space left)
Sun 4 Oct - Sat 10 Oct
Sun 18 Oct - Sat 24 Oct (1 space left)
Sun 1 Nov - Sat 7 Nov (Full)
Note: A maximum of two students are allowed per course in two separate adjacent small workshops to ensure you an intensive but safe learning experience. We have a protocol for social distancing in place.
Other dates can also be arranged for one to one courses on a weekly basis.
Please contact me for additional information.
I look forward to hearing from you.