A new collaboration - complete beginners pottery classes with Sylph Baier and Alain Devise during January, February and March 2019
Sat 9 Feb - Sat 16 February 2019 Course Full
Sat 9 Mar - Sat 16 Mar 2019 One place left
Flights to and from Bergerac with Ryanair.
Airport shuttle included.
4 places with full board and lodging. Vegetarians and Vegans can be catered for.
Full board and lodging, materials and tuition fee.
- 2 double bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms ('blue' and 'red' rooms): £1060 per person per week (£530 for a non potting partner).
- One attic room ('white room') for two people sharing, with shared bathroom below. £880 per person per week.
- Large library at your disposal, own shared living kitchen diner with English TV.
Limited wifi due to a satellite service. Fine for checking emails but not for streaming or Netflix.
- Collection from and to Bergerac airport on the Saturdays.
- Full board and lodging.
- All tuition fees for 30 hours tuition by Sylph Baier and Alain Devise. All materials and firing costs up to 5 kg of stoneware clay included.
Breakfast buffet in own kitchen, lounge, diner,
Tuition: 5 days - 6 hours a day
Monday - Friday
9:30 - 12:30 and 14:00 – 17:00
- Tea and coffee will be served in the morning and the afternoon.
- Lunch will be taken at a local inn.
- A light evening meal will be served.
- We offer YouTube clips in the evening on ceramic topics, or you can relax by lighting your own log fire in one of our French stoves and make use of the library.
3 French electric wheels, 2 shimpo RK10 wheels, 2 electric kilns, one wood fired Raku kiln, one gas fired Raku kiln, slab roller.
Clays and glazes
Geology, collecting raw materials in nature, preparing the collected clay.
- Types of rocks and their use in ceramics
- Composition of the terrestrial crust, and of different clays: earthenware, stoneware, porcelain.
- From rocks to glass: simple approach to glazing
- Learning about firing temperatures
Slab building, coiling.
Throwing on the electric wheel
- Clay wedging and 4 fundamental moves for throwing on the wheel
- Turning with different cutting tools
- Decoration: slip, sgraffito, glaze decoration.
- Firing of the pots you made, on the last day: Raku and smoke firing, or electric firing, depending on the future use of your pots.
For further details or if you wish to book:
Please contact Sylph Baier at firstname.lastname@example.org